Garage – Keep Your Investment Protected
Living in the Sunshine State has its perks, but the extreme weather conditions can take a toll on your home’s largest moving part—the garage door. With hurricane-force winds, intense heat, humidity, and heavy rainfall battering doors year-round, keeping your garage door functioning properly is vital to your security and safety of your home and family.
At Jennings Garage Door Service near Apollo Beach, FL, we specialize in professional garage door repair with over 10 years of experience in the industry. Our team is available around the clock with 24/7 emergency services to address all your garage door needs promptly and efficiently. As a licensed and insured business, we guarantee reliability and trustworthiness in every job we undertake. We pride ourselves on providing affordable rates without compromising on quality, offering a wide selection of top-tier garage door products to meet your specific requirements. Whether it’s a broken spring, a malfunctioning opener, or a door off its tracks, our skilled technicians are equipped to handle any repair with precision and speed. Trust Jennings Garage Door Service to keep your garage door in peak condition year-round.
Whether it’s replacing broken springs, realigning bent panels, or fixing noisy openers, garage door problems are among the most common service requests from homeowners. Not addressing these issues promptly can lead to bigger headaches down the road—or even leave your home exposed during storms. If your garage door is acting up and not working correctly, call Jennings Garage Door Service. We have over 10 years’ experience in the garage door industry, and provide service throughout the Tampa metro area, including Apollo Beach, FL and the surrounding areas.
The Most Common Garage Door Problems in Florida
The near-constant heat, humidity, salt air, and threats of extreme weather take a major toll on garage doors across the state. Here are some of the most common problems Florida homeowners experience:
Broken or Worn Out Springs
The heavy torsion springs supporting your door handle an incredible amount of pressure each time you open and close it. Eventually these springs wear out or snap from metal fatigue. Replacing broken garage door springs is one of the most frequent service calls contractors receive.
Without properly functioning springs, you’ll struggle to manually lift the door or it may get stuck. It’s important to replace broken springs immediately to avoid further damage to the door or opener.
Malfunctioning Openers and Remotes
Garage door openers contain many moving parts and electronics that wear out in the heat and humidity. Issues like broken gears, failed motors, and problems with the logic board arise frequently.
Remote clickers also fall prey to extreme conditions, with buttons becoming stuck or range affected. You may need to replace either the remote or opener unit.
Loose or Damaged Weatherstripping
The seals along the bottom and sides of your garage door keep out dust, bugs and moisture. But Florida’s intense sunlight deteriorates rubber and vinyl weatherstripping quickly. Replacement maintains energy efficiency and a proper seal.
Noisy Operation and Uneven Tracking
Lack of lubrication causes rollers, hinges, and tracks to squeak loudly during opening and closing. The door may also veer off track, getting stuck or scraping the ground. This uneven tracking needs alignment adjustments.
Bent, Dented or Rusted Panels
Hurricane-force winds can easily bend lightweight aluminum garage door panels. The intense sunlight also gradually warms the metal, causing expansion and contraction that results in dents or dings over time. Coastal salt air accelerates corrosion and rusting of steel panels as well.
Replacing individual damaged sectional panels keeps your garage door functional and looking its best.
Addressing these common issues through professional garage door repair prevents costlier problems down the road while keeping your home secure and storm-ready.
“Replacing worn out weatherstripping and realigning bent panels kept our 25 year old garage door functioning smoothly.” – Mark K., Apollo Beach
Professional Garage Door Repair Services
While some minor DIY garage door repairs may seem straightforward, it’s essential to call in a licensed professional technician for most issues. Attempting dangerous repairs without proper training and tools puts your safety at risk and can result in faulty work.
Jennings Garage Door Service has expertly served homeowners in the greater Tampa metro for over 10 years. Our certified technicians have the knowledge to accurately diagnose problems and perform lasting repairs using quality parts and materials.
“Their technician arrived promptly, carefully explained the repairs needed, and had us up and running again the same day.” – Melissa R., Apollo Beach
Here are some of the most common professional garage door repair and maintenance services we provide homeowners:
- Opener Repair and Replacement – From replacing blown capacitors and failed gearboxes to installing brand new opener units, we have you covered. We feature openers from top manufacturers like LiftMaster and Genie.
- Maintenance and Tune-Ups – Like any machine, garage doors require regular upkeep to prevent premature breakdowns. Our tuning service includes lubrication, adjustment, and parts replacement.
- Panel Repair and Replacement – Is your garage door dented, rusted or cracked? We can replace individual damaged steel, aluminum, or fiberglass panels and get your door looking like new again.
- Off-Track Door Repair– Has your door veered off its tracks? We can realign and adjust it for smooth operation.
- Spring and Cable Replacement – We carry a fully stocked inventory of garage door springs in various sizes, tension ratings, and materials to immediately replace any broken springs. Our techs can also replace worn or broken cables.
- Weatherstripping and Insulation – We replace worn weatherstripping around the perimeter of your door to block out dust and moisture. Adding insulation to the panels reduces energy costs.
For urgent issues like a snapped spring or door that’s stuck, we also provide 24/7 emergency garage door repair. Call us anytime day or night for prompt assistance. Our average cost for common garage door repairs ranges from $125 to $300, though prices ultimately depend on the specific work needed.
When To Consider New Garage Door Installation
If your aging garage door requires very frequent repairs and ongoing maintenance, investing in a brand new door may make better long-term financial sense.
Here are signs it may be time to replace rather than repair your garage door:
- Rollers need changed every year
- Frequent spring replacements
- Panels rusting through or have holes/cracks
- Security or insulation extremely outdated
- No longer able to balance and lift the door
Newer garage door models offer significant advancements in convenience, durability, security, and energy efficiency.
Replacing your garage door also provides an instant facelift for your home’s curb appeal. Whether you want a modern, sleek look or more traditional style, the material, finish, windows, and hardware you select make a statement.
Choosing the Best Garage Door Materials
Garage door materials range from inexpensive options like stamped steel to higher-end wooden doors and aluminum-clad fiberglass composites. Consider factors like budget, durability, insulation, and appearance:
Fiberglass and Vinyl
For superior durability and low-maintenance, fiberglass doors with vinyl or aluminum cladding make an excellent impact-resistant choice. They mimic woodgrain textures at various price points.
Nothing beats the look of natural wood doors, though they require extensive maintenance in humid Florida. Treatment and refinishing every 2-3 years prevents swelling and warping. Consider lower-maintenance engineered wood composites.
The most affordable option, steel panels resist dents and rust with a baked-on paint finish. However, thinner gauges (24 or 25 gauge) dent easily and lack insulation. Heavier gauges (20 or 22 gauge) are more impact resistant.
This lightweight but durable option resists rusting and comes painted or with a frosted glass look. Aluminum dents relatively easily though and has low insulation value.
Insulation is another key consideration for energy efficiency, especially in hot climates. Polyurethane insulated doors keep garage interiors cooler.
Features and Options to Enhance Functionality
Today’s technologically advanced garage doors go far beyond just opening and closing. Upgrading to a new WiFi-enabled door optimized for residential properties gives you:
- Hurricane Wind Load Resistance – Doors are tested and rated to withstand wind speeds up to 190 MPH. Critical for coastal regions.
- Smartphone Control – Use an app to open/close your door from anywhere and receive alerts.
- Built-in Cameras – Monitor your garage interior right from your phone for added security.
- Backup Battery Operation – Avoid getting trapped if the power goes out during a storm.
- Energy Efficiency – Insulated doors with interlaced vinyl backing, composite edges, and thermal seals conserve cooling costs.
- Noise Reduction – Belt drives, nylon rollers, and insulation create whisper-quiet operation.
You can also match the style to your home exterior with custom windows, decorative hardware, and faux wood finishes on steel doors. Consider an integrated automatic gate system for premium convenience and security.
Our garage door experts at Jennings Garage Door Service meet with homeowners to determine the optimal new door solution for their needs, lifestyle, and budget. We handle the full installation process including permit paperwork, old door removal, and expert adjustment for smooth operation.
How To Choose the Right Garage Door Contractor
Selecting a qualified, reputable company ensures you receive expert service along with warrantied parts and labor. Warning signs of shady contractors include:
❌ Vague about parts warranties
❌ Requests full payment upfront
❌ No proof of licensing or insurance
❌ Uses high pressure sales tactics
❌ Extremely low bid compared to others
What you should expect from a trust-worthy, professional company:
✅ Clear about pricing and warranties
✅ Provides local references
✅ Responds promptly to calls
✅ Professional, certified technicians
Dealing with a family-owned business like Jennings Garage Door Service gives you personalized attention and technicians who live and work in your community. We take pride in doing the job right the first time and standing behind our work.
Be sure to get at least 3 estimates before choosing who to hire, and check for recent reviews of their service quality. We encourage you to call and ask us any questions!
“I highly recommend getting multiple quotes. Once I did, Jennings gave me the most competitive pricing and I felt I could trust them.” – Jason L., Tampa
Garage Door Safety – Tips for Homeowners
Your garage door is under dangerous tension and can cause serious injury if certain precautions aren’t taken:
🔸 Use the emergency release only when door is fully closed
🔸 Add LED lighting so you can see the full door area
🔸 Have sensors professionally adjusted to reverse the door if obstructed
🔸 Replace any frayed or damaged cables immediately
🔸 Upgrade to a new opener with auto-reverse and force settings
🔸 Schedule twice yearly professional inspections/tuneups
🔸 Keep the path clear of objects that could cause tripping
🔸 Keep the door fully open when not in use
🔸 Use the side door when an electric opener malfunctions
🔸 Avoid standing or walking under the door while in motion
Routinely checking all moving parts of your garage door system preserves safe operation for your family. Contact Jennings Garage Door Service at (813) 955-7813 to schedule a safety inspection or tuneup for peace of mind. Investing a little now goes a long way towards preventing injuries and costly repairs down the road.
Maintain Curb Appeal and Enjoy Reliable Operation
With proper maintenance and repairs, your garage door will reliably serve you for decades, adding security, convenience and style to your home.
Whether you need cables changed or a whole new hurricane-rated door installed, Jennings Garage Door Service stands ready to assist homeowners in Apollo Beach and the surrounding areas with expert repairs, installations and tuneups. Call us at (813) 955-7813 for a quote or appointment that fits your schedule.
Looking for the best door repair service, shop, or company near me or in my area who repairs not only doors, but springs, cables, rollers, openers and more? Call us! Does your opener, torsion spring, cable, chain, roller, or sensor need fixed? Call us! Searching for the top contractors, services, shops, or companies who are experienced and professional, have great reviews, who do quality work and will provide a free estimate? Call now! Looking for a contractor who is affordable, and does small residential jobs? Need someone to fix a panel, whether it is made of fiberglass, metal, aluminum, or wood? Call Us! Need estimates on commercial overhead jobs, or a gate that needs repaired under warranty? Call us!
Garage Door Supplier Apollo Beach Florida
Garage Door – Service is Important
Jennings Garage Door Service specializes in professional garage door installation services near Apollo Beach, FL. With over a decade of industry experience, our licensed and insured team is dedicated to providing reliable and efficient service around the clock. We offer affordable rates on a wide selection of high-quality garage door products tailored to meet your home’s aesthetic and functional needs. Trust us for your next garage door installation project to ensure a seamless, professional experience that upholds our core values of reliability, efficiency, and professionalism. Contact Jennings Garage Door Service anytime for 24/7 emergency support and to enhance your home’s security and curb appeal with our expert installation services.
Looking to upgrade your home with a new garage door in the Sunshine State? Installing a new garage door can increase curb appeal, improve home security, boost energy efficiency, and add functionality to your property. However, the process requires proper planning, high-quality materials, and professional installation to ensure optimal performance, safety, and longevity.
Due to regular hurricane threats and the hot climate in Florida, many homeowners opt for impact-resistant doors made of steel, aluminum, or glass. For coastal regions, the sturdy hurricane-rated models required by Florida’s strict Miami-Dade building code are essential.
When replacing an aging or damaged garage door, hiring a professional local company like Jennings Garage Door Service is highly recommended. With decades of experience and expertise specific to Florida’s building codes, weather, and preferred styles, the professionals at Jennings Garage Door Service handle permitting, provide quality products, and guarantee reliable installation along with ongoing service and maintenance.
While a basic roll-up steel garage door can cost between $600-$1000 for DIY installation, homeowners often opt for better insulated or impact-resistant doors with openers and accessories which can cost $1500-$4000 installed by a pro. This investment in both curb appeal and durability is well worth it thanks to boosted home value. That starts with selecting the ideal garage door for your home.
Types of Garage Doors Suited for Florida Homes
Wood doors can also provide excellent insulating properties but do require thorough weatherproofing and regular aesthetic upkeep in humid climates. Wood options like cedar and cypress hold up better than other softwoods.
Inland areas still benefit from impact-resistant materials even if hurricane-rated models aren’t mandated. The heavy-duty construction provides insulation, dent resistance, and durability. Glass window options also allow natural daylight while blocking UV rays.
For additional insulation from the heat, steel sandwich or polyurethane-insulated doors are fantastic options. With an R-value between 12 and 18, temperature and humidity are kept stable in the garage. This can even help reduce energy bills since cooler garages reduce the workload for AC units.
In terms of operating mechanism, the most common options for residential garages are:
- Roll-up doors which lift vertically and stow along the ceiling. Easy to operate and allowing full ceiling height clearance, roll-up doors work for most standard garages.
- Sectional doors made of connected horizontal panels lifting and rolling back on ceiling tracks. Also easy to operate with remote openers.
- Swing-up doors which open outward and upward by hinges. Ideal for tight spaces but require some exterior clearance.
- Carriage house style doors which swing out and mimic the aesthetic of old barn doors but with modern functionality. Require additional interior garage space.
Once the door type is selected, the specific size, design elements, color, windows, and hardware must be chosen. It’s critical all these factors suit your property design and functional needs. Consulting the pros at Jennings Garage Door Service is invaluable for making the perfect choices.
Essential Garage Door Components for Proper Installation
Beyond just the garage door itself, the supporting frame, hardware, and electronics are equally crucial for smooth operation and long-term durability in Florida’s climate:
- Reinforcement Struts – Steel struts lending strength across door panels susceptible to high winds.
- Tracks – Vertical and horizontal steel tracks guiding the rollers. Must be aligned and sloped correctly.
- Counterbalance Springs – Critical torsion or extension springs providing lifting power and controlling speed.
- Steel Jambs and Frames – Bolted into the wall framing and reinforced to create structural integrity and impact resistance.
- Rollers – High-quality nylon or steel rollers moving smoothly along the door tracks.
- Aesthetic Hardware – Matching handles, hinges and windows for design appeal.
- Automatic Openers – Convenient motorized openers with safety sensors and remote controls.
- Hinges – Industrial strength galvanized steel hinges connecting door sections.
- Weatherstripping – Rubber seals around the perimeter blocking water, air, dust and pests.
Durability and functionality in the elements rely on the proper selection and professional installation of all these interconnected components. Keep reading to learn about the detailed installation process.
Step-by-Step Garage Door Installation
Installing a new garage door involves careful deconstruction and reconstruction. It must be done methodically and precisely to achieve reliable performance. Trusting experienced companies like Jennings Garage Door Service is advised. Here is an overview of the key phases:
- Remove old door and prep the opening – Take down the old door and tracks carefully to avoid damage. Inspect, repair, and reinforce framing.
- Install new tracks – Bolt metal tracks to jambs and rafters. Ensure correct slope and alignment.
- Mount torsion spring system – Dangerous springs require pro handling for safety and proper tension.
- Attach rollers and reinforce – Make sure rollers glide smoothly to prevent derailing.
- Mount individual door panels – Starting with bottom panel, attach sections with hinges & screws.
- Attach weatherstripping – Compress seals tight along all edges to block elements.
- Install opener and safety sensors – Motorized opener and sensors prevent accidents.
- Test for balance and adjust – Confirm door lifts smoothly and locks securely.
- Program remote and WiFi – Connect wireless remotes and smart home systems.
Adhering to Florida’s permitting process and local building codes during installation is also essential safety and compliance. An experienced company like Jennings Garage Door Service will ensure this is handled properly. They can even recommend products and features ideal for Florida homes.
“Having a new garage installed by a quality local company like Jennings Garage Door Service versus trying to DIY the project made all the difference for me. Their expertise specifically with local building codes, materials that withstand the humidity, hurricane tracks that won’t bend, and getting the permits taken care of – it was absolutely worth the investment.” – Frank D. in Apollo Beach
What Does It Cost to Install a New Garage Door?
What Does It Cost to Install a New Garage Door?
Garage door installation costs vary based on the size, material, style, inclusion of windows/hardware, and level of automation:
- Materials – Steel vs wood vs glass vs other materials all impact costs. Stronger materials cost more.
- Labor – Around $45-$65 per hour for professional installation and construction fees.
- Size – Larger multi-car garage doors have higher material and construction costs.
- Design Features – More decorative elements like windows or hardware raises costs.
- Openers/Remotes – Automated openers with WiFi range from $125-$375 in parts plus $125-$250 in labor.
- Permits – Permit fees average $50-$100, depending on the city.
Larger double-car garage doors average $1000-$2500 installed depending on materials, features, accessories and openers. Insulated steel models with impact-resistance and automated functionality usually run $2000-$4000 for professional installation.
Most standard single-car garage door installations range from $800-$1,500 installed. Going with a basic steel model and DIYing the install can cost as little as $600.
Get in touch with a reputable local company like Jennings Garage Door Service to get a precise price quote for your home and project goals. Their expertise guarantees ideal door selection, professional installation, responsive service, and lasting value.
Replacing just the panels or hardware on an existing door costs less, around $400-$800 in labor and parts. However, swapping out the entire door system is recommended to truly refresh the look and provide long-lasting performance.
How to Select a Reputable Garage Door Company
Choosing the right garage door company is crucial because installation significantly impacts your home’s security, safety, integrity, and function. Here are tips for identifying qualified contractors:
- Check reviews – Nothing demonstrates quality like years of 5-star customer reviews. Look for rave responses about workmanship, service, and professionalism.
- Ask about licensing and insurance – Reputable companies will have active licenses, bonding, and liability coverage. request copies.
- Seek experienced local companies – Longstanding businesses familiar with Florida’s building codes and climate are ideal.
- Get multiple quotes – Contact 3-5 highly reviewed companies for quotes to compare pricing.
- Look for clear communication – Quality companies will happily answer questions and explain garage door options.
- Request a written contract – Review all details like timeline, permits, fees, warranties before signing.
- Inquire about emergency response – Knowing a company actively provides 24/7 emergency service brings peace of mind.
- Consider ongoing maintenance – Some companies offer maintenance packages for continued upkeep and optimization.
“We cannot recommend Jennings Garage Door Service enough. Their expertise with exactly which garage door models fit Florida code requirements, climate, and design aesthetics was obvious from my very first call with them. Plus the crew handled the entire permitting and installation process efficiently and cleaned up nicely afterwards. Their lifetime warranty and maintenance plan provide great ongoing value as well.” – Susan R. in Ruskin
Replacing a garage door requires significant trust. Work only with licensed companies like Jennings Garage Door Service with a proven reputation for quality and service in your area.
Garage Door Care and Maintenance Tips
Proper maintenance optimizes garage door performance, safety and longevity in Florida’s humidity and extreme weather conditions. Here are key tasks homeowners can do themselves:
Inspect visually – Check hardware connections, tracks, openers and moving parts monthly. Look for signs of wear, rust and damage.
Inspect weatherstripping – Replace any cracked or peeling weatherstripping to maintain the seal.
Lubricate moving parts – Use spray lubricant on rollers, hinges, pulleys and tracks as needed.
Replace worn out springs – Torsion and extension springs wear out over time. Leave spring repairs to the professionals.
Test auto-reverse – Place an obstruction under an automated door to confirm the auto-reverse works properly.
Test safety features – Ensure auto-reverse, photoelectric eyes and door force sensors work properly.
Clear debris – Vacuum dirt and sand out of tracks to prevent abrasions and jamming.
Check balance and alignment – Doors should lift smoothly, open/close fully and lock securely.
Update older openers – Swap out outdated openers for modern WiFi/app connectivity.
Check batteries – Replace batteries every 6-12 months in remotes and keypads for reliable access.
Touch up wooden doors – Use wood filler on any cracks or holes in wooden doors then sand and re-stain for protection.
Proactively maintaining your garage door saves money over the long run and ensures everything operates smoothly when needed most. Contact Jennings Garage Door Service about their maintenance service plans tailored for local homeowners.
Invest in Professional Garage Door Installation for Your Home
Installing a new garage door provides tremendous curb appeal, functionality, and safety benefits for homes and businesses. By selecting durable impact-resistant models suited specifically for Florida’s climate along with automated smart features, you can achieve maximum ROI.
Trust a highly reviewed local company like Jennings Garage Door Service to handle permitting, professional installation, responsive warranty service, and ongoing maintenance. Their expertise with local and state building codes guarantees your new hurricane-rated garage door will deliver security, energy efficiency, and hassle-free operation for decades to come.
Investing in a quality new garage door system the right way is well worth the upfront cost. If you’re ready to upgrade your Apollo Beach, FL property with a stunning new high-performance garage door, contact the pros at Jennings Garage Door Service for prompt and friendly service.
Looking for the best installation service, shop, contractor, or company near me or in my area who provide not only complete installs, but who also will install springs, cables, rollers, openers and more? Call us! Does your opener, torsion spring, cable, chain, roller, or sensor need installed? Call us! Searching for the top contractors, services, shops, or companies who are experienced and professional, have great reviews, who do quality work and will provide a free estimate? Call now! Need estimates on commercial overhead doors, or warranty installations? Call us! Looking for installers who are affordable, and do small residential jobs? Need someone to put in a new panel, whether it is made of fiberglass, metal, aluminum, or wood? Call Us!
Door Shop Apollo Beach Florida
Garage Door – We Take Care of Everything
Is it time to replace your aging, worn-out garage door? Upgrading to a new garage door can transform the look of your home, increase safety and security, and add convenience with smart features. But with so many options on the market, where do you start?
Experience top-notch garage door replacement services with Jennings Garage Door Service near Apollo Beach, FL. Our expert team, boasting over a decade of industry experience, provides reliable and efficient garage door solutions around the clock. As a fully licensed and insured business, we guarantee the durability and security of our installations. With our 24/7 emergency service, affordable rates, and a wide selection of high-quality garage door products, we ensure a seamless and satisfying upgrade to your home’s functionality and curb appeal. Trust us for a garage door replacement that blends quality, performance, and style. Contact Jennings Garage Door Service today – where excellence meets affordability.
This comprehensive guide from Jennings Garage Door Service will walk you through everything you need to know about selecting, purchasing, and installing new garage doors. We’ll cover all the basics, from costs and materials to special considerations for Florida weather and wind load requirements.
Whether you want to increase your curb appeal, strengthen your home against storms, or just ensure smooth, quiet operation, a new garage door can help. Read on to learn why you may need a replacement, how to choose the right door, what to expect during professional installation, and how to maintain your investment.
Why Consider Replacing Your Garage Door?
If your garage door is outdated, deteriorated, or functioning poorly, it may be time for an upgrade. There are a few key signs that signal the need for replacement:
- Appearance is dated. Do you cringe at the sight of your worn, dated garage door? Replacing it is one of the fastest ways to update the curb appeal of your home. New doors come in a wide range of styles, colors, and window options to complement your home’s exterior.
- Safety and security concerns. Malfunctioning doors with loose cables or sensors can be a hazard. Upgrading to a new door will give you peace of mind.
- Noisy operation. Squeaky, rattling doors can be an annoyance. New garage doors typically operate much more quietly.
- Insufficient insulation. Poor insulation leads to higher energy bills. New well-insulated doors keep your garage space cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
- Materials are damaged. Dents, cracks, rotted wood, and rust can occur over years of exposure to Florida’s harsh climate. Replacing damaged panels and hardware keeps your home secure.
- Operation is difficult. Do you struggle to manually lift or lower your door? Does it move unpredictably or get stuck? Modern garage doors open and close smoothly with electric openers.
Replacing your garage door offers benefits beyond fixing operational problems. Newer doors provide:
- Increased home value – An attractive, functional garage door makes a strong first impression on potential home buyers.
- Enhanced curb appeal – Stylish doors with decorative window options can modernize your home’s look.
- Improved energy efficiency – Better insulation reduces heating and cooling costs for your garage space and potentially your entire home.
- Peace of mind – Advanced safety features, hurricane wind load resistance, and secure construction protect your family and belongings.
- Added conveniences – Keypads, smartphone controls, and smart integration let you open and close with ease.
Popular Garage Door Styles
Florida’s warm, coastal climate and range of architectural styles call for garage doors that are both visually appealing and rugged enough to withstand high heat, humidity, and hurricane-force winds.
Here are some of the most popular new garage door styles for Florida homes:
Wood garage doors can provide a warm, natural aesthetic. However, solid wood expands and contracts with humidity, requires regular staining or painting, and lacks insulation. Consider alternatives like:
- Wood composite – Made from wood fibers, resins, and polymers to prevent warping. Stainable or paintable.
- Wood veneer – Thin wood veneers over steel or composite cores. Provides wood look with less maintenance.
- Cedar – Naturally resistant to moisture and insects but requires staining/sealing.
Fiberglass garage doors have an exterior which looks like wood but resists moisture, rotting, and termites. Options include:
- Wood grain fiberglass – Mimics wood texture and can stain like real wood.
- Smooth fiberglass – Contains colored resin for consistent, low-maintenance color.
- Composite cores – Interior foam insulation sandwiched by fiberglass skins.
- Hurricane impact rating – Meets wind load requirements.
Sturdy, durable steel garage doors are a great choice . Look for galvanized or stainless steel construction to prevent rusting. The steel surface can be finished with:
- Wood grain textures – Mimic the look of wood garage doors with less maintenance.
- Color coatings – Choose from hundreds of color options to coordinate with your home.
- Insulation – Injected polyurethane foam offers thermal protection.
- Short or long raised panels – Provide a traditional look with horizontal grooves.
- Contemporary flush panels – No grooves creates a modern, streamlined appearance.
Aluminum garage doors are another low-maintenance option suitable for coastal Florida. Features include:
- Resistant to rust and corrosion – Ideal for oceanfront homes with salt spray.
- Extremely durable – Withstands dents, dings, and wind damage.
- Lightweight – Weighs less than steel for easy lifting and operation.
- Baked enamel finishes – Available in many colors; resists fading.
- Anodized finishes – An alternative to paint with metallic sheen.
Vinyl garage doors offer all-weather performance with very low maintenance needs:
- Never needs painting – Color goes all the way through material.
- Resists moisture – Doesn’t warp or rot like wood.
- Insulated cores – Polyurethane or polystyrene foam prevents temperature transfer.
- Lightweight – Weighs less than wood or steel.
- Scratch-resistant – Stands up to dings and bumps.
Specialty Garage Door Options
Beyond materials and finishes, local homeowners can consider specialty garage door features like:
- Impact glass windowpanes – Withstand hurricane-force winds and windborne debris. Allow natural light into garage.
- Exhaust ports – Ventilate fumes from cars in enclosed garage spaces.
- Pass doors – Walk-through entrance integrated into garage door improves accessibility.
- Carriage house designs – Decorative doors with crossbuck, swing-out, or other custom accents. Provide vintage style.
- Built-in screens – Keep insects and debris out of open garage areas.
- Custom hardware – Ornamental hinges, handles, and lift handles can provide unique styling.
- WiFi-enabled smart features – Open, close, and monitor doors from a smartphone app.
How Much Does Garage Door Replacement Cost?
Garage door replacement costs vary based on size, materials, insulation, wind load rating, accessories, and installation:
- Installation: Hiring a pro to remove old door, install, and configure the new door averages $400. DIY cuts costs but makes permitting difficult.
- Materials: Steel and aluminum doors start around $600 – $1000. Wood, fiberglass, and vinyl increase cost to $1200 – $5000.
- Door Size: The total square footage of your garage door determines materials cost. Typical sizes range from 9’x7’ up to 16’x7’.
- Accessories: Windows, carriage house designs, hardware, etc. add $200 – $2000 per door.
- Windload: Doors rated for 90+ mph hurricane winds add $100 – $600 to the total.
- Insulation: Foam-filled doors with high R-values start at $800 – $1500. Non-insulated basic doors cost less.
- Garage Door Opener: New openers start around $150. Models with batteries, WiFi, and cameras cost $350+. Professionally installing and integrating the motor with the door averages $150 – $300.
In total, a new insulated steel garage door with professional installation and a mid-range opener generally runs $1000 – $3000. Premium doors with wood materials, impact-rated windows, and smart features can be $3000 – $7000 installed.
While not inexpensive, this major home upgrade pays dividends through added beauty, improved energy efficiency, and increased home value. Jennings Garage Door Service offers financing options to break project costs into affordable monthly payments.
“Replacing worn-out old garage doors provides an impressive return on investment. Not only do new doors increase curb appeal, they can lower energy bills by 10-15%. This upgrade often pays for itself within just a few years.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
Hiring a Professional for Installation
Installing a garage door involves careful measurement, structural preparation, electrical wiring, and extensive adjustments for safety and performance.
For Apollo Beach, FL residents, using a professional garage door company like Jennings Garage Door Service is highly recommended. Here’s what you get:
- Correct Sizing – They will precisely measure and recommend an appropriately sized door for your opening.
- Permits & Codes – Professionals pull all required permits and ensure compliance with local and state building codes.
- Safe Removal – They will safely remove and dispose of your old door and components.
- Structural Work – Any necessary repairs to the frame, headers, or surrounding structure will be completed.
- Complete Installation – From precise placement of tracks to tuning springs, every part of the new door will be installed following manufacturer specifications.
- Opener Integration – Openers require electrical work and programming for seamless operation with the new door.
- Adjustments and Testing – The door will be fine-tuned to ensure perfect balance, smooth motion, and responsive safety features.
- Clean-Up – All packaging materials and debris will be hauled away, leaving a clean garage.
- Warranty Support – Professional installation maintains eligibility for the manufacturer’s product warranty.
- Peace of Mind – You can relax knowing the job was done right by a fully licensed, insured local company.
Replacing a garage door yourself may seem cost-effective but inaccuracies, malfunctions, and lack of warranty support often make DIY a more expensive choice in the long run. Protect your investment with professional installation.
“Don’t take chances with garage door installation. Our technicians have the expertise to handle the entire replacement process quickly and flawlessly so you get many years of reliable service from your new door.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
What to Look for When Buying a Garage Door Opener
Along with your new garage door, upgrading your opener to a smooth, quiet, and smart operator provides the ultimate in convenience. When selecting a new opener, consider:
- Smart Capabilities – Open, close, lock, and check door status from your smartphone.
- Speed – Faster opening door speeds get your car inside and secure faster. Look for opening speeds of 7.5 inches/second or faster.
- Motor – Look for 1⁄2 HP or 3⁄4 HP motors for standard 7’ high doors and heavier 1 HP motors for tall or wide double doors. Belt drive motors run quieter than chain drives.
- Warranty – Opener warranties average 10 years but some offer lifetime motor warranties.
- Remote controls – Handheld and in-car remotes allow keyless entry.
- Safety Features – Sensors that reverse if obstructed and automatic stop if door meets resistance.
- Battery Backup – Opener continues working during power outages.
Investing in a quality garage door opener designed for smooth integration, quiet operation, and smart features will take your garage functionality to the next level.
Garage Door Replacement Process: What to Expect
Replacing your garage door takes 2-5 hours from start to finish depending on size, accessories, and age of your existing frame. Here is the typical installation process:
- Inspection – The installer will examine your current door, springs, track, and framework to plan the project. They can identify any structural issues needing repair beforehand.
- Preparation – The work area will be protected with drop cloths. Tools, new hardware, and door components will be readied.
- Door Removal – The old door panels, opener, rails, rollers, springs and hardware will be safely dismantled and removed.
- Site Prep – The opening will be cleared of debris. Rotted wood frames will be replaced. New jambs will be added if needed.
- New Door Installation – Panels will be fitted and hinges, rollers, cables, struts and torsion springs positioned properly over the opening. Weatherstripping will seal gaps.
- Tracks and Opener – Tracks will be leveled and fastened. The new opener will be mounted and wired in. Sensors will be calibrated.
- Testing and Adjustment – Doors will be tested for smooth operation and balance. Springs tensioned and safety features fine-tuned.
- Clean-Up – All old parts, tools, and debris will be cleaned up and hauled away.
- Demo & Documents – Homeowners will be walked through proper operation and provided documentation on warranties, maintenance, etc.
Within a day, you’ll have a gleaming new garage door that operates quietly and reliably at the click of a button.
“Our expert installers make the entire garage door replacement process fast and hassle-free. We know how vital garage access is, so we work efficiently from start to finish so you can get back to using your garage without interruption.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
Keeping Your New Garage Door in Top Shape
Regular maintenance is important for keeping your garage door working smoothly. A few quick DIY tasks include:
- Inspect the door monthly – Check for loose hardware, damaged panels, and frayed cables. Fix minor issues immediately to prevent bigger problems.
- Test the auto-reverse function – Ensure the door reverses when meeting resistance to prevent injury or damage. Adjust sensors as needed.
- Lubricate the moving parts – Use silicone spray to lubricate rollers, hinges, pulleys and tracks. Avoid grease which collects dirt.
- Check door balance – A balanced door opens and closes smoothly with little effort. If it’s difficult to operate, have a pro adjust spring tension.
For more involved maintenance, rely on the experts at Jennings Garage Door Service for:
- Opener/electrical troubleshooting – With complex wiring and programming, opener issues often require a professional.
- Cable replacement – Frayed or broken cables put your door at risk of detaching, requiring expert repair.
- Spring adjustments – The high tension can make spring adjustments dangerous for DIYers. Leave it to the pros.
Regular tune-ups by a licensed technician help identify and address problems early before they cause breakdowns. Preventive maintenance saves money and headaches down the road.
Frequently Asked Questions About New Garage Doors
Researching garage door replacement leads to plenty of questions. Here are answers to some of the most common FAQs:
Can I keep and reuse my existing garage door opener?
Sometimes openers are compatible with new doors but it’s recommended to upgrade openers older than 10-15 years. Newer openers have better lifting power, safety technology, and features.
How long do new garage doors last?
With proper installation and maintenance, steel, fiberglass, and aluminum garage doors generally last 25-30 years in Florida. Wood doors average 15-20 years. The environment, usage frequency, and quality of care impact lifespan.
What features increase garage door replacement cost?
Upgrades like wood materials, larger sizes, impact glass windows, decorative designs, insulation, higher windload ratings, built-in pass doors, and smart features increase cost but add beauty and functionality.
What wind load rating do I need?
Florida building code requires garage doors rated for 90 mph hurricane zone winds minimum. In central and south regions, doors rated for 110 mph to 130+ mph winds provide added protection.
Do I need a permit for garage door replacement?
Most municipalities in Florida require permits because garage doors are structural components. Reputable installers will pull permits on your behalf. DIY projects may violate local codes.
Why choose a local company like Jennings Garage Door Service?
We have the experience to handle installations properly. Our techs understand Florida building codes and windload requirements. We also offer specialized hurricane doors and lifetime warranties on many new doors.
How do I know if my garage door needs replacing?
Signs like frequent breakdowns, visible rust or rot, cracked panels, compliance issues with new codes, difficulties manually operating the door, costly repairs, and energy inefficiencies all indicate replacement should be considered.
Should I get insulated or non-insulated garage doors?
Insulation helps regulate garage interior temperatures. Foam-filled doors with an R-value of 10+ are best for Florida climates. Basic non-insulated doors cost less but transfer more heat and cold.
Transform Your Home With a New Garage Door
As you can see, a new garage door is a major upgrade that can transform the look of your home, increase safety and security for your family, and add convenience with modern features and accessories.
While garage door replacement involves careful selection and professional installation, the long-lasting benefits are well worth the investment. If you’re looking to replace worn-out, outdated, or damaged garage doors in your home, Jennings Garage Door Service can guide you through the process.
We proudly serve homeowners throughout the Apollo Beach area with all their garage door installation and repair needs. Call us at (813) 955-7813 for a free consultation and estimate. We look forward to helping enhance your home with new, stylish, hurricane-rated garage doors!
Get a Free Quote on Garage Door Replacement
Jennings Garage Door Service makes upgrading your home with new garage doors simple and affordable. Contact us online or call (813) 955-7813 to schedule a free estimate at your convenience.
Give your home an instant facelift while improving safety, energy efficiency, and functionality. Call or click today to get started on replacing your garage door with the experts at Jennings!
Our specialists will assess your current garage door, measure your opening, and help you select the perfect new door to fit your home, lifestyle and budget. We offer special seasonal discounts, warranty coverage, and financing options to save you money.
Looking for the best replacement service, shop, or company near me or in my area who provides not only complete installation , but who also will replace springs, cables, rollers, openers and more? Call us! Does your opener, torsion spring, cable, chain, roller, or sensor need replaced? Call us! Searching for the top contractors, services, shops, or companies who are experienced and professional, have great reviews, who do quality work and will provide a free estimate? Call now! Need estimates on commercial overhead doors, or warranty replacements? Call us! Looking for a contractor who is affordable, and does small residential jobs? Need someone to install a new panel, whether it is made of fiberglass, metal, aluminum, or wood? Call Us!
Garage Builder Apollo Beach Florida
Garage Door – Protecting Your Home & Family
Keep your garage door in top condition with Jennings Garage Door Service near Apollo Beach, FL. Our expert team offers comprehensive garage door maintenance services designed to ensure your door operates smoothly and safely. With over a decade of experience, we are your local, licensed, and insured professionals providing reliable, efficient, and affordable maintenance solutions. Whether it’s routine checks or emergency repairs, we are available 24/7 to handle all your garage door needs. Trust us for a professional service that keeps your garage door performing at its best. Contact us today to schedule your maintenance and benefit from our wide selection of quality garage door products.
A garage door is the largest moving part of your home, and it endures a lot of wear and tear from Florida’s harsh weather conditions. Proper maintenance is crucial for it to function smoothly and safely while protecting your vehicles, belongings, and family inside. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything homeowners need to know about preventing problems, performing regular upkeep, and recognizing when professional repairs are needed. And if your garage door is in need of maintenance, you can trust the pros at Jennings Garage Door Service to get the job done right.
The Importance of Garage Door Maintenance in the Florida Climate
Florida’s year-round hot and humid climate can take a major toll on garage doors. The intense heat causes materials like wood, foam, and steel to expand and contract. This leads to warping or cracking over time. Meanwhile, our coastal cities, including Apollo Beach, FL, face additional threats like salt corrosion and damage from hurricanes and tropical storms.
Proper upkeep becomes even more critical for avoiding costly repairs down the road. It also reduces the risk of being stuck with a jammed or malfunctioning garage door during severe weather when you need access most. Investing a little time and effort into regular preventative maintenance pays off exponentially in extending the lifespan of your garage door. Calling Jennings Garage Door Service to schedule an inspection and tune-up is a good idea if you are not a garage door expert.
Common Garage Door Problems to Watch Out For
To keep your garage door in good working order, you first need to know what to look for. Here are some of the most prevalent issues Florida homeowners face:
- Rust – Wet, humid conditions lead to rust on steel and iron parts. This can freeze mechanisms or lead to failures.
- Mold/mildew – Dampness allows mold to grow on wood doors and weatherstripping.
- Sagging or swelling – Moisture makes wood panels expand, warp, and sag over time.
Wear & Tear
- High traffic – More open/close cycles strains moving parts. This shortens lifespan.
- Age – Old, outdated doors often become less functional and efficient.
- Neglect – Lack of maintenance accelerates natural degradation.
- Termites – They love feasting on untreated wood doors, damaging them from the inside.
- Carpenter bees – These large bees burrow into wood, weakening structural integrity.
- Nesting insects – Wasps, mud daubers, and spiders block sensors with messy nests.
Extreme Weather Damage
- Hurricanes – Powerful winds can bend and damage panels. Flying debris often leaves dents or holes.
- Heavy rain & flooding – Too much water can cause wood doors to swell, warp, and rot. Steel doors can rust.
- High winds – Can knock doors out of alignment and cause hinge damage.
- Salt air corrosion – Oceanfront regions deal with rust degrading steel components and hardware.
Other Florida-Specific Issues
- Alligators – Rare but possible! Their powerful jaws can crush panels and tear at cables.
- Hurricane debris – Storm remnants like treest branches can lodge in tracks.
- Sand and dirt – Grit stuck in tracks grinds down rollers and inhibits motion.
By recognizing common problems ahead of time, you can catch them early and avoid both safety risks and more costly repairs. If you notice any of these issues, call Jennings Garage Door Service to schedule garage door maintenance ASAP.
DIY Preventative Garage Door Maintenance Tips
Carrying out regular preventative maintenance is the most cost-effective way to maximize your garage door’s lifespan. Here are do-it-yourself tasks homeowners can perform themselves between professional tune-ups:
1. Visual Inspections
- Check for damage, cracks, rot, or rust after storms.
- Inspect weatherstripping for light, gaps, and tears.
- Monitor cables, pulleys, and springs for fraying or winding issues.
- Test that safety sensors and reverse systems work properly.
- Ensure door opens and closes smoothly without grinding or sticking.
- Wash door and hardware to prevent salt/dirt buildup.
- Clean tracks and lubricate rollers/hinges for smooth motion.
- Seal/paint any exposed wood to protect from moisture.
3. Basic Component Swaps
- Replace damaged weatherstripping.
- Swap out rusted or severely worn rollers.
- Install new batteries in remote and wall controls.
Leave more complex repairs like replacing broken springs to the professionals. Improper DIY repairs can be hazardous.
“Preventative maintenance goes a long way. A few simple tasks like inspecting components and cleaning tracks can identify minor issues before they become major repairs.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
Create a Maintenance Schedule
Get in the habit of adding garage door maintenance to your regular home care routine.
- Perform inspections monthly.
- Clean door and components every 3 months.
- Replace weatherstripping and service parts annually.
Following this schedule will optimize performance and dramatically extend your door’s lifespan.
Professional Garage Door Maintenance Services
While DIY care is useful for minor upkeep, leave major work to qualified technicians. Professional maintenance offered by reputable companies like Jennings Garage Door Service provides essential expertise and service:
- Bent panels – Attempting to remove and replace heavy, awkward panels risks injury. 2
- Opener issues – With complex electronics and sensors, correctly diagnosing and fixing opener problems requires expertise. 3
- Off-track doors – It’s tricky to get heavy, misaligned doors safely back on track. 4
- Broken springs – High tension makes DIY spring replacement extremely hazardous. Let professionals handle this delicate and dangerous job. 1
The right tools and know-how significantly reduce repair risks. Don’t compromise safety – call the experts!
- Thorough multi-point inspections catch minor issues.
- Adjustments restore balance, lubricate parts, tighten fittings.
- Opener motor maintenance maximizes operational efficiency.
Professional tune-ups every 6-12 months will maximize lifespan and functionality.
“Our professional technicians have the expertise and equipment to quickly diagnose garage door problems and safely conduct all necessary repairs.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
Finding the Right Garage Door Company
When your garage door needs professional service, partner with a trustworthy local company. Here’s what to look for:
Great Referrals & Reviews
- Talk to neighbors for word-of-mouth referrals.
- Check reviews on Google, Facebook, and elsewhere. Look for consistently glowing feedback.
- Read about accolades like Angie’s Super Service Awards. These indicate exemplary service.
Positive reports from past clients indicate providers who meet high standards.
Quick Emergency Response
- Choose a company offering 24/7 emergency service. Florida weather can cause problems any time.
- Fast response times show readiness to help whenever issues arise.
- After-hours availability proves commitment to clients’ needs.
The ability to rapidly respond to emergencies provides essential peace of mind.
Proper Licensing & Certifications
- Licensed with the state and county as a garage door contractor. This helps ensure proper training and protecting your rights.
- Manufacturer certifications to service major brands demonstrate specialized expertise.
- Training certifications like IDA (technician skills) and CDA (selling/consulting skills) are ideal.
“Here at Jennings Garage Door Service, we take pride in our reputation for fast, skilled emergency repair service day or night. Our customers’ safety and security come first.” – Jennings Garage Door Service
When your garage door needs service, always choose a professional company you can rely on. Avoid “shadow companies” posing as local businesses but subcontracting untrained technicians. Work only with established experts.
Regular garage door maintenance is crucial for Florida homeowners. Following the guidelines above will help you minimize repairs, maximize lifespan, and ensure your door operates safely for years to come.
- Perform regular inspections and cleaning.
- Seek professional tune-ups every 6-12 months.
- Pay attention to signs of damage or needed repairs.
- Partner only with qualified, reputable garage door companies for major service needs.
Protect your investment and your family’s safety with proper maintenance. Your efforts will keep your garage door in tip-top shape!
For reliable professional garage door services in the Apollo Beach, FL area, contact the experts at Jennings Garage Door Service. Call (813) 955-7813 or visit us online to schedule maintenance or repairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much does a typical garage door service call cost?
A: Costs range from $75 for minor repairs up to $600 or more for replacing opener motors. Get quotes from multiple companies.
Q: Is it safe for me to try and fix a garage door myself?
A: Minor tasks like lubricating hinges are OK, but leave complex repairs to trained technicians. Improper work risks serious injury.
Q: How can I find reputable garage door companies near me?
A: Seek licensed pros with excellent reviews and testimonials. Ask neighbors for referrals. Beware “pop-up” or sketchy operators.
Q: What are signs my garage door springs need repair or replacing?
A: Warning signs include squeaking, binding, uneven operation, sagging doors, and frequent breakdowns. Don’t delay spring repairs.
Q: How often should I get a professional garage door tune-up?
A: We recommend professional tune-ups every 6 months to 1 year. Florida’s climate is tough on doors, so more frequent maintenance is ideal.
Don’t risk injury or end up with a poorly functioning, unsightly DIY door repair. Our technicians have the expertise to get your door working right.
While doing some DYI maintenance is beneficial, having Jennings Garage Door Service‘s skilled technicians do a yearly tune-up finds even minor flaws before they become major concerns. Our preventative maintenance services offer low-cost peace of mind. When you need thorough repairs or service in the Apollo Beach, FL area, call the experts at Jennings Garage Door Service at (813) 955-7813. Investing a little time and attention in your garage door now will save you from having to replace it later.
Looking for the best service, shop, or company near me or in my area? Searching for companies, shops, services, or contractors who can not only repair but who also do annual maintenance inspections of residential doors? Call us!
Need a commercial inspection? Want to know the cost of a check-up or tune-up? Call us! Looking for a top rated contractor with great reviews who is highly recommended? Call us!
About Apollo Beach, Florida
Apollo Beach is located in southern Hillsborough County and bordered to the north by Gibsonton, to the northeast by Riverview, to the east by Balm, to the southeast by Sun City Center, to the south by Ruskin, and to the west by Tampa Bay. The unincorporated community of North Ruskin is in the northern part of the CDP. U.S. Route 41 crosses the center of the CDP, and Interstate 75 passes through the eastern portion, with access from Exit 246 at the northern edge of the CDP. Downtown Tampa is 17 miles (27 km) to the north, and Bradenton is 25 miles (40 km) to the south.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Apollo Beach CDP has a total area of 22.3 square miles (57.7 km2), of which 19.8 square miles (51.4 km2) are land and 2.4 square miles (6.3 km2), or 10.97%, are water.
As of the 2010 census, there were 14,701 people in Apollo Beach and 5,886 households, an increase of nearly 75% in both categories over the 2000 census. New families came in with new construction, with the population of aged five years and under increasing by over 150%. The racial makeup of the community was 87% White, 6% African American, 0% Native American, 2% Asian, 3% from other races, and 2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14% of the population.
There were 5,886 households, of which 27% had children under the age of 18 living with them, and 63% were married couples living together, both higher than the state average.
The history of Apollo Beach started in 1923 on land owned by the Dickman family, then used annually for farming and grazing pasture. Much of the land was mangrove and low-elevation and was considered uninhabitable.
In the 1930s, Paul Dickman conceived the idea of a waterfront community. He felt the location was ideally located equidistant between Tampa and Bradenton along U.S. Route 41.
The Dickmans secured the services of Radar Engineering of Miami to design a subdivision including roads, canals, schools, recreation areas, and community services.
In the early 1950s, Dickman negotiated the sale of the land to three men from New York: Turner, Dean and Clark. They named the land “Tampa Beach”, believing the association with Tampa would attract interested persons more readily than a name which did not properly locate the area geographically.
Construction began on the Flamingo Canal near U.S. 41 and proceeded toward Fairway Boulevard. It was their intention to extend the canal to Tampa Bay so as to achieve access to open water. The task became too large for the amount of capital they had invested and for the abilities of the persons involved, and in 1956 they notified Dickman they could not go through with the project.
In 1957, Francis Corr, a retired businessman from Michigan, purchased the land. Corr renamed the area “La Vida Beach”. Legend has it that in 1958 Corr’s wife Dorothy suggested a new name, “Apollo Beach”, for the area’s greatest benefit — sunshine. Mr. Corr started construction of 50 homes in the area between U.S. 41 and Golf & Sea Boulevard.
In early 1958, Corr reached an agreement with Robert E. Lee, a South Carolina contractor, to join in the development. Lee was to continue the dredging of canals, and in exchange was to receive parcels of land.
In the early 1960s, Francis Corr sold his company and the Apollo Beach land to a Miami company known as Flora Sun Corporation. Flora Sun sold some of the land on the northern end to the Tampa Electric Company for a power plant site on the land’s northern border, which is now the Big Bend Power Station. Flora Sun failed in its obligations in the purchase of the land from the Corr family, and about seven years later the family got the land back out of bankruptcy court.
In the mid-1960s, Corr’s son Thomas moved his young family to the area to continue work on the Apollo Beach project; however, while the land was in bankruptcy proceedings from Flora Sun, the dredge and fill permits required to construct the canal system expired.
The Corr family continued to struggle with the development over the years, facing regulatory hurdles and tightening growth policy in Florida with the passage of the growth management act in 1972 and expanded policies in 1984.
Thomas Corr continued to develop the community and donated land for parks and schools and preserving hundreds of acres of mangrove swamps and environmental areas. He started a community bank, a chamber of commerce, civic clubs and festivals. Thomas Corr died in 1998. In 2006, Hillsborough County honored the work of Thomas Corr by naming the new elementary school on Big Bend Road the Thomas P. Corr Elementary School.
Today Apollo Beach is a thriving waterfront community with year-round boating, fishing, and other water activities. The estimated 55 miles (89 km) of canals lead to Tampa Bay.
The schools that serve Apollo Beach are:
- Apollo Beach Elementary
- Inez Doby Elementary
- Waterset Charter School (K-8)
- Eisenhower Middle School
- East Bay High School
- Dorothy C. York Innovation Academy
Famous Landmark: Big Bend
Apollo Beach is famous for the Big Bend Power Station which provides power to the Tampa Bay area. The power plant is visible across Tampa Bay and especially in Apollo Beach.